Gula #ouderzonden

Regular readers from Belgian bloggers might have noticed that there is currently a new blogging series launched with the # ouderzonden (#parental sins) by Romina from Big City Life. Once a week, we'll blog about the 7 capital sins of parenthood. You can find the participants here.

This weeks question is: What can you never refuse your children when they ask for something?


Hugs
I love to be close to my children. I love to feel them , smell their hair and feel their soft skin. So we can never hug too much.

Nothing greater than getting home and 2 children running towards you for a hug.  (but to be honest, often they are absorbed in a game or a screen lately). 


Attention at night
When you are the mother of a small baby, you get the question constantly "Does (s)he sleep through the night already? "  If you would confirm , the baby get praised as an easy good baby  as if it is a virtue .

I belief that babies or children only wake up because there is a need.  A need for food, a need for comfort, a soother for pain,  a need for confirmation that they are not alone, a confirmation that is someone around and will come when they need it.

So while I do curse, sincerely curse whenever I hear a  cry through the baby phone...I've always approached my children at night with a lot of empathy. I try to never show impatience. i've never considered to "train" them to sleep through the night.  It comes automatically when they are ready. 



Food
When they ask for food, it's hard to say no.  I don't have an issue to say no to candy but some cookies if they are hungry are usually given.  In the car, the children have the habit to eat cookies.
It's an easy way to buy peace and quiet but I also truly don't want them to be hungry.  


On the other hand I can be quite strict on what they must eat from their plate. If I've stated that they should eat another 5 pieces of vegetables...they'll sit at the table until they've eaten 5 pieces of vegetables regardless the arguments and whining. When I ask them to do something, I try to be very consistent (yet reasonable) and predictable and I have a feeling it starts paying off. 
Toys

When I grew up, presents were only at Sinterklaas, Christmas and birthday (the latter not that long).  Jan can easily buy them something they see in the store and it's a bit my frustration to see new toy additions coming into the house rather regularly. In my vision, it deflates the fun of the big parties and events where they get presents.  

So actually they'll usually get a no from me when they ask for a toy but I'll tell them I'll put it on their wishlist which we'll share with family and sinterklaas etc when the next occasion comes up. 
But sometimes I'm not so consistent myself when it seems just a little thing.   Or when it's not a toy but something practical. 

Comments

Popular Posts